As part of the Christian Church living in the spirit of the Gospel, we are committed to protect and care for everyone in the church community, but especially adults at risk and children.
Click here to see the Church of England’s policy which was adopted by the Coventry Diocesan Synod in March 2018.
We are committed to:
- The care of, the nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with all children and adults.
- The safeguarding and protection of all children and adults.
- The establishing of a safe, caring community which provides a loving environment where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and where they can find support and best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse.
To this end we will:
- Carefully select, support and train all those with any responsibility within the church, in line with the Church of England’s Practice Guidance for Safer Recruitment.
- Respond without delay to every complaint made that a child or adult may have been harmed, cooperating with the police and local authority in any investigation.
- Seek to offer informed pastoral care and support to anyone who has suffered abuse, developing with them an appropriate ministry that recognises the importance of understanding the needs of those who have been abused, including their feelings of alienation and/or isolation.
- Seek to protect survivors of abuse from the possibility of further harm and abuse.
- Seek to challenge any abuse of power, especially by anyone in a position of respect and responsibility, where they are trusted by others.
- Seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision, and referral to the appropriate authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child or adult.
In all of the above:
- We will follow legislation, guidance and recognised good practice.
- We will monitor and regularly review our safeguarding procedures.
If you have any safeguarding concerns, please contact:
Cathedral Safeguarding Officer: Jane M L Williams
telephone 024 7650 2349 or email JaneMLWill@aol.com
Diocesan Safeguarding Team led by Sarah Price
telephone 024 7652 1345 or email email@example.com
For more information about safeguarding please contact either of the above, or visit http://www.dioceseofcoventry.org/safeguarding
Click here to download a form for the recording of allegations of abuse or concerns.
Click here to download our Safeguarding Privacy Notice.
Click here to download our COVID-19 Risk Assessment for the Cathedral Choir.
In 2019 Coventry Cathedral underwent a safeguarding audit conducted by the Social Care Institute for Excellence. Click here to download their report and here to download our Safeguarding Audit Action Plan.
‘Safe Spaces’ – a joint Anglican and Catholic Church project to provide support to survivors of church-related abuse – has now launched. For more information, please click here.