There are many ways to become part of our vibrant Cathedral community and volunteering is one of them. There are so many different reasons to volunteer, and everyone has their own reasons. However, here are some of the main benefits:
- Make new friends
- Learn new skills
- Good for your CV
- Work alongside experts in their field
- Knowing you’re making a unique contribution to our work
- Counts towards your Duke of Edinburgh Award
We offer a wide range of roles from working with our tourism team to bring the visitors experience to life through guided tours, children’s trails and activities to looking behind the scenes in our offices with the Vergers, Finance or the Travel Trade team.
Our volunteers either work just a few hours a month or come in more regularly. It’s entirely up to you.
We also hold a regular monthly meeting for volunteers interested in learning more about Cathedral life and send out a weekly newsletter to keep you informed.
There are plenty of opportunities. To find out more about volunteering with us, please call Louise Nicholls on 024 7652 1247. If you’re ready to apply, please click here and fill in the online application form.
We currently need:
- Flower Arrangers – Flower arranging experience required though supervision and training will be given.
- Welcomers – We need people to provide a memorable welcome to the many visitors who come to the Cathedral 7 days a week. This is a rewarding role and open to all although it involves standing for periods of time.
- Chaplains – Join the team who give a few hours each month to provide a ministry of welcome, prayer and listening to visitors.
- General repairs and maintenance crew – maintaining our buildings and interiors is a big job. If you have painting, carpentry, cleaning or general skills you would like to offer we would love to hear from you.
- Schools Team Tour Leaders – We welcome over 25,000 children and young people to the Cathedral each year. We are looking for people with the right skills to guide school groups around the Cathedral during the working week, and term times. Retired teachers are particularly welcome.
- Blitz Centre Stewards – We are looking for people willing to help steward our small but fascinating Blitz Centre so that we can open it more often and to the general public. A regular commitment would be preferred.